Sunday, December 4, 2011

Give Us a Break! Vacation Nightmare Strikes Again.

Day 6: (Off Day, aka no park touring) Downtown Disney, Restaurant Akershus Storybook Princess Dinner

Well, our day started at 2am with me being sick with some stomach bug. I felt much better by 8am but I was really weak and too afraid to eat anything to get my strength up. I finally got myself together and felt better by 11am and slowly got down a large bottle of water. I felt better as each hour passed.

Thank goodness this was our off day! We were able to take it slow and were avoiding parks anyway since crowd levels soar on Saturdays. We bused to Downtown Disney to do some shopping. We hit all our fave stores except the pantry store (kitchen goods) and bought a few items for the kids. At about 1, we stopped to get the kids some lunch and me some kind of slush...anything icey. I ended up with an Italian ice. Felt lots better after that.

We started back for the resort at 2:30 and knew our resort wasn't running enough buses frequently enough to service everyone. Our bus makes stops at Downtown Disney Marketplace, Downtown Disney West Side, Typhoon Lagoon, Swan Resort, Dolphin Resort, Yacht Club Resort, Beach Club Resort (us), and Boardwalk Resort. This is absolutely ridiculous and I can't believe they can't split that up between 2 or 3 different routes. Anyway, our bus arrived at 3 and we didn't get off the bus at our resort until 4pm. We were packed full when we got on at Downtown Disney Marketplace and yet the bus driver continued to ask guests to move further to the back of the bus so more people could get on at each stop! Awful. I've had a few bad transportation experiences in WDW but this will probably top my list. It's just not realistic to have 1 route servicing 8 stops and running no more than every 30 minutes (I don't know how long it had been since the last bus when we got there). This made me love our Beach Club location even more though since we can walk to Epcot and Hollywood Studios and not have to touch the buses for those!

We got back to the room and Jace and I napped while Ally drove Ryan crazy climbing all over him and having no interest in quiet rest time.

We made it to our reservation for Ally's Princess dinner just in time and were seated about 10 minutes later. This is a beautiful restaurant. It's themed after a Norwegian castle and the food is (as much as I know) authentic to Norway. The bad thing about this meal is, because it's a buffet and a character meal, all guests are charged whether or not you eat (essentially, paying in order to see characters). Not a big deal if you actually want to eat! I wasn't about to miss this meal so we sucked it up for Ally's special night. I felt better and ate a little but couldn't handle the heavy sauce my pasta just yet. It was so good though, I was really disappointed I didn't feel like eating it! I had the mushroom stuffed pasta and Ryan had the baked chicken. He didn't feel well all afternoon so he couldn't stomach eating anything either. The kids shared Mickey shaped pasta and ate well from the appetizer buffet. I do love that the appetizers portion of your 3 course meal are cold offerings that you serve yourself and the entree is plated and served to you. It's the best of both worlds. The dessert is a trio of full size offerings which I was excited about too. We ended up taking this to go since we just couldn't eat it yet. I didn't end up really liking any of these. I'm sure most people would love them, they just weren't my type of desserts. The chocolate mousse was the closest to being something I'd enjoy but it was just too rich (I'm not a fan of chocolate). The other two were a rice pudding and a puff pastry stuffed with some kind of cream that had a flavor to it that just didn't work for me.

Belle greeted us as we entered the restaurant and we had a family picture taken with her which we were given several prints of as a part of our dinner price and it's also on our Photo Pass so I'll share that in the post vacation picture show blog entry. :-) A special piece of the dinner for Ally was the Princess Processional. All 4 Princesses parade around the restaurant with their bouquet and any little Princesses that would like to join can choose a Princess to follow. Ally of course chose Snow White and followed her like a little duckling. It was just too cute! The Princesses Cinderella, Aurora, Snow White, and Ariel came to our table in a very timely manner...almost too timely. All Princesses had been by before our entree arrived so Ally spent the rest of the meal asking to go talk to them again. I wish they would have been spaced a bit to make the magic last. We will have to do this experience again on another trip when we all feel normal and healthy! I think we would've really enjoyed it a lot more if we'd been completely present in the experience.















We made it back to the resort just in time for Ryan to be stomach sick too. Ugh. Thank goodness, he ended up only having this one round and slept well. Good news, we were all finally well by morning and ready to start a great day!

Day 7: Hollywood Studios, dinner at Les Chefs de France in Epcot, and Fantasmic!

No comments:

Post a Comment