Saturday, March 26, 2011

Back By Popular Demand, Tarabars Part Deux

I attempted 3 new flavors, 2 of which were successful as in they taste like their inspiration. The 3rd flavor tastes good but nothing like I intended. The successes were Banana Nut Bread and Oatmeal Raisin Cookie. .Blueberry Muffin is the one that didn't turn out. It was just dates, dried blueberries, pecans, and vanilla. It's good but doesn't taste like a blueberry muffin. I think mainly because what we all think of as blueberry muffins are very artificial and loaded with sweeteners and other various ingredients that I can't pronounce. I'm going to give it another go and try it differently to see if I can achieve the sweetness I had in mind. Anyway, here are the rough recipes...I didn't really measure when I made them and you don't have to either!

Banana Nut Bread

1/2 c. dates (18 or so), rough chopped
1/4 c. (or a bit more...yum!) dried bananas, I used unsweetened
1/4-1/3 c. walnuts, depending on how much you like walnuts
vanilla
cinnamon

The process is the same as the other versions.

Fine chop the dates in a food processor.
Add the bananas and walnuts and chop them in with the food processor.
Add vanilla & cinnamon, to taste.

I used wax paper this time to shape them and let them chill. Then I cut them and wrapped them individually in wax paper and I like how this worked a lot better than the plastic wrap.

On to the other super success!

Oatmeal Raisin Cookie

1/2 c. dates
1/4 c. raisins
1/4 c. oatmeal (NOT INSTANT!)
vanilla
cinnamon
nutmeg

Again, the same process:

Rough chop the dates and then fine chop in a food processor.
Add raisins and chop again.
Add oatmeal.
Add vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg to taste. Remember, nutmeg is a very potent flavor so a little goes a long way. Start with a small amount and add to it until it has a desirable flavor for you. I like more cinnamon and half as much nutmeg.

Shape with wax paper & chill. Cut and wrap individually. Grab and go!

I recommend storing all Tarabars in the fridge for freshness and texture (firm instead of soft). There are no preservatives! ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment